- Public school educated in Tampa, FL, with a post graduate high school year at the Mercersburg Academy, Mercersburg, PA .
- Bachelors of Art (Sociology) from Duke University while attending on a football scholarship
- Masters (Education) from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill while teaching elementary school for three years at Carolina Friends (Quaker) School (first grade)
- Chartered Life Underwriter’s designation from The American College, Bryn Mar, PA
Past work and entrepreneurial experiences:
- Insurance/Estate Planning
- Business Development & Management
- Historical Property Restoration
- Hospitality Industry
- Real Estate Development
- Education Technology (distance learning)
Historic Property Restoration:
Mercersburg Inn, Mercersburg, PA
Of the 16 projects in four different the United States, one the largest restorations was located in a small (population 1,300) Southern Pennsylvania historical town. Charlie wrote a US Urban Development Action Grant application that was in competition with 500 other similar US communities. It was only one of 92 grants awarded ($210,000). These funds, as part of a million-dollar investment, were then used to restore and develop a 20,000 sq. ft. historical home into a 16-room luxury country inn on 5 acres in the town center. When these grant funds were repaid, they were NOT returned to the US government, but rather to the town to assist in funding a new sewerage treatment plant. Please see: www.mercersburginn.com
As a result of community involvement, Charlie was selected by the other business owners to serve as the president of the town’s Chamber of Commerce (Board of Trade). He then worked closely with the Pennsylvania state department of tourism to organize the first ever state-sponsored visit to the town by statewide travel agents in order to begin to better attract tourists.
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
Since 2011, Charlie’s family has acquired 2 homes on Pelham Street, having taken 2 years to restore 194 Pelham to it former 1890 glory. As a result of pressing family issues in Tampa Bay, Florida, in the fall of 2017, both houses were sold.
Urban Renewal Projects in Tampa, Florida’s Inner City
Charlie was the first Chairman of the Board of the Lee Davis Neighborhood Development Corp. (Tampa’s first inner-city economic development corporation.) and the Alternative Vice Chairman, Tampa Enterprise Community-Based Partnership (An inner-city community based group that developed, wrote, and was awarded a $2,900,000 Federal Enterprise Zone designation and grant for the City of Tampa under the President Bill Clinton administration.
Technology as a Change Agent:
After serving as the Florida Manager for NetSchools (one of the first US companies specializing in 1-1-eLearning), Charlie formed a non-profit research and development consortium of private-sector firms in the fields of education, technology, and telecommunications along with several other educational technology non-profit entities. Its primary mission was to enable the poorest English and Spanish speaking middle school learners to experience at-home Internet access via smartphones (pre-Apple iPhone) to safe digital learning resources in order to fully participate in networked educational collaborative platforms. As a result of its research and planning efforts, a major US technology company, in order to field-test the concepts, awarded a $1,000,000 grant. 100 smartphones were then deployed to successfully deliver educational materials to 9th-grade students in four high schools in three poor rural school districts across a US Southern the state.
Other Public Sector Volunteer Experiences:
- Member of the Advisory Committee for the Gulfcoast Oncology Foundation
- Director of Tampa Sports Club (a Non-profit group dedicated to providing financial grants to support youth athletics.)
- Board member of Rotary Club of Tampa
- President and board member of St. John’s Parish Day School
- President of HARC Housing, Inc. (Housing opportunities for the retarded.)
- Partner of the Learning Lab Student Incentive Project for the Florida Aquarium
- President’s Task Force on Intercollegiate Athletics at the University of South Florida (Studied and restructured the athletic department.)
- Member of Planned Giving Committee for Suncoast Gerontology Cente